Jim grew up in Agoura Hills attending public schools and graduated from Agoura High School. He holds a Bachelors Degree in Urban Planning from UC San Diego and a Juris Doctorate degree from Pepperdine University School of Law. While in law school, Jim also received a certificate in dispute resolution from the Strauss Institute.
Jim was hired as an attorney for the City of Thousand Oaks in 1994. After five years of legal practice, he moved into public administration as a Deputy City Manager for the City of Thousand Oaks.
In 2003, Jim was selected to be an Assistant General Manager for the Conejo Recreation and Park District. Upon the retirement of Tex Ward in 2006, Jim became the Park District's third General Manager in its 56-year history.
In addition to his work as GM, he participates in various other organizations, professional associations
• California Association of Park and Recreation Indemnity (CAPRI), Board member (CAPRI is a statewide liability, property and workers compensation insurance pool of more than 60 recreation and park districts)
• Play Conejo, Board member
• Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA), Finance Officer
• Conejo Open Space Conservation Authority (COSCA), Joint Chief Administrative Officer
• California Association of Recreation and Park Districts (CAPRD), Legislative Committee member (served 10 years as Chair)
• Davenport Institute for Public Engagement and Civic Leadership at Pepperdine University’s School of Public Policy, Advisory Board member
• Rotary Club of Thousand Oaks, Board member
• California Special District's Association (CSDA), Certified Special District AdministratorJim has written no books, though he has Tweeted quite a few times. He is married to Tracy – an attorney, mom