Adults & Seniors
The original Goebel Adult Community Center, named after Louis Goebel, opened in 1975 on part of the land used by the famous Goebel's Jungleland. The property was a generous donation to the City of Thousand Oaks by the Louis Goebel family. Prior to opening, a Joint Powers Agreement between the City of Thousand Oaks and the Conejo Recreation and Park District authorized the District to operate the Goebel Center. Today, the more spacious and modern center located on Janss Road offers classes, special events, excursions, and drop-in programs for senior adults. It's a full-service 21,000-square foot facility with meeting rooms, restrooms, kitchen, dining room, billiards room, putting green, horseshoe pits, and much more.
The Goebel Senior Center Commission, Incorporated is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community service organization. Our purpose is to enrich the quality of life of seniors.
- Establish policies relative to the operation of the Goebel Adult Community Center
- Acquire and allocate funds to benefit the Goebel Adult Community Center
- Volunteer their time and special skills, serve on committees, and assist in planning, organizing, marketing, and conducting programs to benefit seniors
Regular commission meetings are open to the public and held on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 1:00pm.
Pictured: Front Row (left to right): Patricia Schiano, Mary Martinich, Del Basilio, Marger Powell, Betty Berry, Nancy Healey. Back Row (left to right): Steve Smith, Mindy Rosiejka, Mickey Toyen, Marv Fineroff, Sandy Barry, Joanie Reuben, John Posta. Not Shown: Maxine Cleary, Cynthia Bengtson.
|Steve Smith, President||Patricia Schiano, Commissioner|
|Maxine Cleary, Vice President||Marv Fineroff, Commissioner|
|Del Basilio, Treasurer||Sandy Barry, Commissioner|
|Mary Martinich, Secretary||John Posta, Commissioner|
|Cynthia Bengtson, Commissioner||Marger Powell, Commissioner|
|Betty Berry, Commissioner||Nancy Healey, Commissioner|
|Mickey Toyen, Commissioner||Joanie Reuben, Commissioner|
|Mindy Rosiejka, Commissioner|
The original Goebel Adult Community Center, named after Louis Goebel, opened in 1975 on part of the site used by the famous Goebel's Jungleland. The property was a generous donation to the City of Thousand Oaks by the Louis Goebel family. Prior to opening, a Joint Powers Agreement between the City of Thousand Oaks and the Conejo Recreation and Park District authorized the District to operate the Center. Today, the more spacious and modern Center located on Janss Road offers classes, special events, excursions, and drop-in programs for adults. It is a full service 21,000-square foot facility with meeting rooms, restrooms, kitchen, billiards room, putting green, and horseshoe pits. For more information about the community center, please contact us at 805-381-2744.
Goebel Center Hours
Monday - Thursday
|ADA Parking Stalls||15|
|AED||2||Automated External Defibrillator|
|Back Lobby||1||Grand Piano|
|Back Patio||1||Covered. 4 Tables/ 24 Chairs|
|Billiard Room||1||2 9-foot tables, 1 8-foot table, 1 Snooker table|
|Computer Lab||1||7 PCs with Windows XP, Microsoft Office, and Free Wifi|
|Dining Room||1||Seats 48|
|Gift Shop||1||Open Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm|
|Meeting Rooms||9||Wild Lilac - seats 25; Black/Purple Sage - combinable; seats 25 (with tables) each or 50 (auditorium); Chaparral (card room) - 25 (with tables) 50 (auditorium); Foothill/Sky/Silver/Valley Lupine - combinable; seats 20 (with tables) or 25 (auditorium) each; Main hall - seats 150 (with tables) or 250 (auditorium)|
|Pay Phone||1||located outside on front patio|
|Restrooms||6||2 main restrooms, 4 ADA restrooms|
Sponsored by the Goebel Senior Center Commission (GSCC).
- Tuesdays, 1:00-3:30pm
- Fridays, 1:00-3:30pm
- Saturdays, 1:00-3:30pm
Open for ages 18+. Doors open at 12:00noon. Paper sales stop promptly at 12:45pm. Minimum buy-in: $10; additional special games: $2 each. All games= 85/15 split to max of $500. All tabs have numbers.
Friday Night Bingo
Friday, October 29
Doors open at 4:00pm. Sales stop promptly at 6:00pm. Bingo starts at 6:30pm. Food will be available for purchase.
*Dates & menu subject to change.
Computer room usage is for Seniors 55+ ONLY, from 8:30am-4:00pm Monday - Friday
Free use of the computer lab and printer is made possible by the Goebel Senior Center Commission. Please help us to keep this service available and enjoyable by following the rules and policies below.
Open computer lab hours are posted on the computer lab door or are available by calling 805-381-2744. SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
- The Goebel Center computers are to be used for information, education, and recreation.
- Accessing images and/or transmitting material that is obscene, or sexually explicit is strictly prohibited and can constitute sexual harassment. This type of behavior will lead to expulsion from the lab.
- Outside software programs may not be used on the Goebel Center computers.
- NO FOOD OR DRINKS allowed inside the computer room.
- Sleeping is not allowed in the computer lab.
- Charging electronic devices is not allowed.
- Each user is limited to 6 pages of printing per day. Printer use is monitored.
- Users should work quietly and respect others users' privacy.
- Continuous conversations need to take place outside of the computer lab. Converse in the lobby.
- Cell phone conversations need to take place outside of the computer lab. Converse in the lobby.
- Computer memories are wiped clean after each reboot. Please bring a disk or thumb drive if you need to save anything.
PLEASE NOTE: Discussion groups are individual forums facilitated by volunteers for discussion of a variety of issues. The Conejo Recreation & Park District provides classrooms for discussion but does not organize these forums nor advocate any opinions or comments expressed. Please contact center staff with any concerns regarding any material discussed: email@example.com or 805-381-2744. Unless indicated, these groups are free, ongoing, and drop-in at the Goebel Adult Community Center.
Tuesdays, 10:00am-12noon, with Lloyd Minton.
Wednesdays* 2:00-4:00pm, with Irwin Schector and Michael Pittas (No Politics, No Religion)
*PLEASE NOTE: No meeting the 4th Wednesday of each month
2nd Tuesday of each month, 7:00-8:45pm. Casual, friendly discussion of a selected monthly book.
Facilitated by: Cheryl Miller. Call 805-368-4542 for more information.
Literature Discussion- RETURN DATE: TBD
Facilitated by: Elwin Ellis. Call 805-498-8243 for more information.
Conejo Senior Singles
Last Wednesday of the month is 'Game Night' and group meets at 6:15pm.
Facilitated by: Georgine Herd & Ken Lynch.
History Book Discussion
2nd Thursdays, 7:00-8:45pm
Facilitated by: Jack Heller. Call 805-341-7585 for more information.
2nd & 4th Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm
Facilitated by: Rick. Call 805-405-4566 for more information.
Conejo Valley Writers
2nd Saturdays, 12noon-2:30pm
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Health-Related Support Groups
Please contact center staff with any concerns regarding any material discussed: email@example.com or 805-381-2744
Unless indicated, these groups are free, ongoing, and drop-in at the Goebel Adult Community Center.
Hospice of the Conejo, Widow/ Widower Support Groups- No Walk-Ins. Prior to attending, please call facilitator: 805-495-2145
Tuesdays, 11:00am-12noon and 2:30-3:30pm
Us Too Prostate Cancer Support Group
1st Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30pm
Diabetes Support Group- Will return in October.
4th Wednesdays, 1:30-3:00pm
For more information call Livingston Memorial VNA: 805-642-0239
Alzheimer's Support Group
1st and 3rd Fridays, 9:30-11:00am
For more information call Alzheimer's Association: 805-494-5200
Thousand Oaks Low Vision Support Group
For more information, call: 805-380-6206
Post Polio Syndrome Support Group
1st Saturdays, 12:30-2:30pm
Drop-In Senior Activities- Free, ongoing programs. No registration required.
Bridge- Drop in play, no registration required
- Partnership Bridge:
- Mondays, 10:00am-1:00pm
- Thursdays, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Intermediate Bridge:
- Tuesdays, 9:00am-12noon
- Thursdays, 12noon-4:00pm
- Intermediate/ Advanced Bridge:
- Tuesdays, 12:30pm
- 2nd & 4th Mondays of each month, 12noon-4:00pm
- Wednesdays, 9:30am- 12:30pm
- Mondays & Wednesdays, 9:00am-12noon
Mah-Jongg, Rummy Tile, Dominos
- Advanced Mah-Jongg:
- Mondays and Thursdays, 9:00am-12noon
- Rummy Tile:
- Wednesdays, 9:00am-12noon
- Thursdays, 12:30-4:00pm
Intergenerational Chess Club- Return date TBD
- Mondays, 6:00-8:45pm. Chess players of all ages enjoy a mix of tournaments and open play. For more information, contact Cindy 805-990-0136.
Horseshoes- Horseshoes are available to check out at the front desk.
- Open Play:
- Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30am-8:45pm
- Fridays, 8:30am-4:45pm
- Saturdays, 12noon-3:45pm
- Team Play:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00am-12noon.
Badminton, ages 50+
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 8:00-9:45am, at the Teen Center (next door to Goebel Center).
Two 9' tables, one 8', and one snooker table. All open play.
- Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30am-8:45pm
- Fridays, 8:30am-4:45pm
- Saturdays, 12noon-3:45pm
Basketball, ages 50+
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 8:30-11:00am, at the Teen Center (next door to Goebel Center).
Wii Bowling League, ages 18+
No experience necessary. Enjoy some bowling without needing to rent the shoes! PLUS, a monthly award for champion!
- Mondays & Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00pm, at the Goebel Center.
Softball, ages 50+
- League Play, 70+
- Mondays, 8:30-11:00am at Peppertree Park Playfields #1 & #2. 3720 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park.
- Drop-in Softball-
- Tuesdays and Fridays, 8:30-11:00am at Wildflower Playfields #2. 635 W. Avenida De Los Arboles, Thousand Oaks.
- League Play Minor Division-
- Wednesdays, 8:30-11:00am at Borchard Park Fields #1 & #2. 190 Reino Road, Newbury Park.
- League Play Major Division-
- Wednesdays, 8:30-11:00am at Peppertree Park Playfields #1 & #2. 3720 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park.
Table Tennis, ages 18+
- Tuesdays, 4:30-6:30pm, at the Goebel Center.
- Thursdays, 4:30-8:45pm, at the Goebel Center.
Tennis, ages 50+
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 7:30-10:30am at Wildflower Playfields. Courts 1, 2 & 3.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 7:00-10:00am at Borchard Center. Courts 2 & 3.
- Women's games-
- Wednesdays, 8:00-10:00am at Thousand Oaks Center.
- Women's games-
- Thursdays 9:00-11:00am at Triunfo Park.
Senior Nutrition Lunch Program Hours: Monday-Friday 11:30am-12:30pm.
The Goebel Café will be open for our lunch program beginning July 12th. There will no longer be a drive-thru/ pick up option. Please come and join us!
Seniors may call 805-381-2744 beginning at 10:30am to see what the menu is for that day.
Cost: Suggested donation for the daily meal is $3 for those 60+ years old. No eligible individual (60+) shall be denied participation because of failure or inability to donate.
The Goebel Center Senior Nutrition Program is supported by a federal grant, as well as community and participant donations. It is cooperatively operated by Conejo Recreation and Park District, the Ventura County Area Agency on Aging, and a host of friendly volunteers.
Come visit, have a healthy lunch, and make some new friends. Any person or organization that would like to graciously donate towards this program may do so by submitting a check to Goebel Center Supervisor Patty Hamm. Please make your donation check payable to "CRPD c/o GACC Nutrition."
Battery Recycling Program: Dispose of your used household batteries safely. Battery recycle bin is located right outside of the Goebel Center front doors.
Senior Advocates: Advocates assist with questions about housing, transportation, legal issues, health related issues, in-home care, facility placement, government benefits, senior programs, health and long-term care insurance, and assist with completion of forms and applications for numerous programs and services. Call 805-495-6250 for more information and appointments.
Grey Law: Meets on the 2nd Mondays of each month by appointment only. Assisting individuals and non-profit groups that otherwise have limited access to legal services. Call 805-658-2266 to schedule an appointment.
HICAP - Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program: Provides free and unbiased counseling to, and advocacy for, Medicare recipients and those who will soon be receiving Medicare. There will be no more in-person HICAP appointments at the Goebel Center. Please call 805-477-7310 to schedule an appointment.
Tax Counseling: First Wednesdays, by appointment only. Location: Conejo Creek South Community Room. Appointments required; call 805-381-2742.
Will Preparation: 4th Thursday of each month by appointment only. No charge, no obligation meetings to discuss preparation of wills and living trusts; affordable follow-up service available. Mike Williams, Attorney; Call 805-658-2266 for appointment and more information.
Adult Protective Services: To report the abuse or neglect of adults and seniors, call 805-654-3200
PLEASE NOTE: Trips are open to persons ages 50+. Registration for trips is done in person only. All trips involve walking (some more than others). Bus boarding begins 15 minutes prior to departure time.
- Payments: Check, Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover are accepted for all trips.
- Accident/medical insurance ($1 per person, per calendar year, non-refundable) is required for all-day trips.
- All trip times are subject to change.
- Boarding bus not permitted until escort and staff person are present with boarding list.
TRIP CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
- In order to grant a refund, we must be able to fill your space(s) from the waiting list. If there is no waiting list, no refund will be granted.
- NOTE: This policy includes health and illness-related cancellations.
- If we are able to fill your space and a refund is granted, a $5 processing fee will be assessed.
- No refund request will be accepted within 7 days of any trip.